Wednesday, April 12, 2006

4-1-06/ Mid to Late Afternoon

Rather than walking to the store I decided to drive instead. When I got to the park entrance I decided that since I've already gotten in the car, I might as well go for a drive into Uncertain. (Uncertain, TX is the name of the tiny town Caddo Lake is near.) As I scanned through the radio I was reminded of what this area is made of. Throw in a huge handful of country music and a dash each of ultra right wing talk radio and Black Pentecostal Gospel and you have yourself Northeast Texas.

There's a church on the County Road going into Uncertain that I'm thinking of visiting. It appears to be a church designed for visitors to the state park. The vinyl lettering on the wooden sign has worn off but I believe it said it was nondenominational. I'm interested in finding out exactly what nondenomination it is.

Corey may join me tomorrow night. I told him I'd call him today to finalize plans. Right now, however, my cell phone, which was fully charged last night is fully dead now. I think it worked too hard searching for a signal out here. Since I have no electricity I'll have to find an outlet and I think the only one around is in the restroom down the path. I may wait until tomorrow to worry about that.

Right now I'm going to begin reading Luke and Acts before I pick up the Rapture of Canaan, the one fiction I brought along with me on recommendation of Pat.

4-1-06/ Evening

As I drove through Marshall yesterday getting here I wondered what it was about this area that keeps calling me back. Of course there are several reasons. I went to college and really became an adult in Marshall. It was there I made some of my closest friends. Of course my mom is from Carthage and that is where my grandparents lived. But there is hardly anyone left in this place that would beckon me. All I have is memory.

And yet I feel there is more. The thing I love is where and when I am right now-- outside on a Saturday night. It's quiet but the silence here is so much more than an absence of sound. It's the presence of a feeling. Indeed, a feeling of being fully alive, apart from all the bells and whistles and accoutrements society says you need to be fully alive.

No need to be anywhere but here.

No need for words to pollute the beauty.

Just here.

This is where I'd be if a handful of people in Waco hadn't hijacked my heart and held it hostage in Central Texas for the past six years.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so understand Craig. When I went to ETBU, I attended church in Karnack (which is just a few miles from Uncertain). Sometimes, I just get this feeling that I need to go back to that little town by the Caddo. I drove past there about a year ago, and nothing has changed much, yet for me, it has changed completely. All of the college kids who once hung around at Layton and Rosemary's house are now scattered across the country. Bro. Layton has passed away. Everything just looked so abandoned. It made my heart so sad. I don't know what it is about that area, but to me, it will always seem like a part of home. I am actually planning a trip to marshall and karnack next week and I can't wait.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home